Saturday, August 6, 2016

Cabbage & Onions (with bacon!)

Cabbage, onions bacon

No one in my house likes cabbage except me. I love cabbage. I love brussel sprouts too. They are just baby cabbages after all. I can't get enough of them. I rarely make cabbage because although I love it, I really don't want to eat a whole head of the stuff myself.

While we were chatting with our neighbor the other night he mentioned how his Mom would fry up cabbage and onions in butter and how much he loved it. Ha! I found a fellow cabbage lover! So what do you think I did the next morning? I went right out and bought a big old head of cabbage. Oh yes I did.

Instead of cooking it on the stove top I opted to cook it in the oven until it got tender. This method produced a really moist and perfectly cooked cabbage. All I needed was some bacon, cause come on, cabbage and bacon are just meant to be. ONIONS! Oh how I love my onions. My little trick with onions is that I often thrown in just a little bit of brown sugar with them while they cook. This gives them a sweet little edge in a dish like this. I cooked up a boatload of onions and ta da.....my beloved cabbage and onions was ready to eat!

When it was finished I took a photo and texted it to my neighbor. An hour later he was outside my front window with an empty bowl in his hand. I kid you not. I happily shared with him.

Cabbage, onions bacon 1

Cabbage & Onions (with bacon!)
recipe from Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
PRINTABLE RECIPE
1 large head of cabbage
olive oil
2 large sweet onions, sliced
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter (divided)
6 slices bacon, cut into small pieces

Core the cabbage and slice it in strips about a 1/2 inch wide. Toss the cabbage with enough oil to coat it. You don't want to saturate it, just lightly oil it. Place in a 9x13 inch baking dish and pour about a 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the pan. Dot the top of the cabbage with 4 tablespoons of butter. Place the cabbage in the pan and cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 for 35 to 35 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Take the foil off and cook an additional 10 minutes or until the water is evaporated. The cabbage might get a little brown in spots and that's totally ok.

While the cabbage cooks put the bacon pieces in a large frying pan and cook over medium heat until browned and crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan but leave the bacon grease in the pan. Place the onions in the pan and cook until they are slightly translucent. Add in the brown sugar and continue to cook the onions.

Take the cabbage out of the oven and place it in the pan with the onions. Place the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in the pan and cook it for about 10 more minutes. You want it to have nice browned spots. Toss the bacon pieces back in and serve!

No comments: