Friday, August 26, 2016

Sugared Walnuts

Sugared walnuts 1

I make a mean salad. I'm going to toot my own horn and tell you that because it's what I hear from most people when they have salad at my house. I eat a lot of salad so I try and make my salads as interesting as they can be for a bowl of greens.

I'll add in almonds, pears, apples, mandarin orange slices, bleu cheese, avocado etc. For a bit of a crunch I'll add crispy tortilla strips, home made croutons, chow mein noodles. For some protein I've been known to throw in chopped boiled eggs, salmon, bacon, leftover steak strips, just about anything can go into a salad really. It's a great place for leftovers.

One of the things that I think takes my salads over the top is my dressing. I love to make my own. I'll be sharing some of my favorites with you all soon but first I wanted to share my Sugared Walnuts with you. They sound fancy don't they? They are so easy. 3 or 4 minutes in a pan and you have crunchy, nutty salad topping made with 2 ingredients that is a snap to throw together.

These walnuts combined with bleu cheese crumbles is the perfect combination for me. Salty, sweet and creamy in one bite. So good!

Sugared walnuts

Sugared Walnuts
recipe from Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
PRINTABLE RECIPE
2 cups walnut pieces
1/4 cup light brown sugar
parchment paper

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Place a sheet of parchment on your counter. Place the walnuts in the pan and sprinkle with the brown sugar. Using a spatula, toss the walnuts gently so the sugar coats them. If you need to put a little more sugar in, now's the time. As soon as the sugar is melted remove from the pan on to the parchment and let cool. Break up any walnuts clusters. Store in glass or mason jar.

No comments: